Oil Spill Response Managers
Oil spill response managers are experts in governmental bodies, oil companies and maritime companies that are trained to coordinate the activities of a response to marine pollution emergencies. Although they are generally familiar with many areas of oil spill response, the different aspects and needs of a wildlife response are often not so well known.
Sea Alarm has developed training modules especially for oil spill response experts, consisting of lectures and table top exercises. Depending upon the requirements, modules of a few hours up to several days can be provided, and can include the contribution of external experts.
Sea Alarm has provided training modules to different oil companies (e.g. Chevron, StatoilHydro), as part of larger training events facilitated by Oil Spill Response.
Training objectives include:
- Importance of an integrated response to oiled wildlife;
- Effects of oil on wildlife and reasons for species specific vulnerabilities;
- Objectives and strategies of a wildlife response;
- Components of a wildlife response;
- Dealing with a developing wildlife response;
- Health and safety issues in a wildlife response; and
- Elements of an integrated oiled wildlife response plan.